Looking after your appliance
General Do’s and Don’ts
- Never store large amounts of fuel such as wood next to your fire or stove and always use a close mesh spark guard with an open fire.
- Although it may seem like simple common sense but storing your fuel in a sheltered dry place such as a coal house or bunker could be the difference between a damp squib and a warm welcoming fire.
- If you have any doubts over the right fuel for your appliance, check with the manufacturer or give our friendly team a call on 0808 100 4328. We’re open and happy to take your calls Monday to Friday, 6am to 6pm!
- It is recommended that you have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms situated in appropriate areas around your house.
- Having your chimney swept regularly should not be seen as an extravagance but rather as a necessity! Keeping your chimney clean will minimise the risk from a chimney fire and will also help to protect you against dangerous gasses such as carbon monoxide. The frequency of your chimney sweep will depend on the type of appliance that you have and the fuels that you are using. Check out the Northern Ireland Association of Chimney Sweeps website for a list of NIACS Approved Members www.NIACS.co.uk
WARNING SIGNS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
It’s important that you are aware of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and it is very hard to detect because it is a colourless, tasteless, odourless gas that is non-irritating.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which is given off when burning solid fuel. In normal circumstances, the CO gas passes harmlessly out the top of the chimney, however if the chimney is blocked or leaky or if your appliance is faulty or if the ventilation is inadequate, CO gas may enter your property. It is therefore important that you take steps to remove the risk to you and your family.
For more information, please check out the following links: